Sunday, March 29, 2015

It's ok to not do it "right"






Today I'm feeling kind of sleepy and like I need a bit of down time, so I'm taking it. The only thing I've made so far today, is the little picture with the quote for you. (Not my photo, stock photo from Canva)

I thought we needed a reminder. I struggle with perfectionist tendencies myself so I really do understand, but I've had several people approach me lately saying that they wish their stuff was "better" or "good enough" and I want to hug them and shake them a little at the same time.

It's not about getting it right, it's not about making it perfect, it's about making progress. Art is a journey. Sure get better, practice, learn new things. Learn ALL THE THINGS.

Creative lives are richer. There is NO RIGHT WAY.

I want you to remember 3 other things.

1. You may not like it, but someone else is going to think it's the most amazing thing they've ever seen.
2. All art goes through an awkward teenage stage
3. Time spent creating something is never wasted time.

These are the things that I am learning to be true.




6 comments:

  1. Good post on making art and not worrying about imperfections. Create art and enjoy the journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts. Every experience is a learning opportunity.

    I posted a new mandala template today, number 22. I don't see the linky thingy, so here is my link:
    http://www.amarylliscreations.com/zentangleharmony/freebies/zendala-templates/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't find the linky thing either so here is my link - http://penstrokesbycathy.blogspot.com/2015/03/days-86-88-and-some-extras.html
    This is for days 86 through 88! Can you tell I am on spring break with loads more time!!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post is so true.
    My link http://bmlilith.blogspot.com/2015/03/entrenched.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know why Mr. Linky didn't work today, I went back in and readded it, but so far it's the first time it hasn't come through (The other time was user error and I forgot to add it! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this post, Kelly. I needed this reminder tonight, as I find myself struggling to complete a Zentangle tile for one of my groups and finding myself thinking "it's not right; I should scrap it." But, it's ok. I'm learning and I'm having fun while I'm learning.

    ReplyDelete